Knowing When It’s Time to Call an Electrician
Sooner or later, every home will need electrical work, whether a wiring repair, an upgrade, or a new fixture installation, to name a few common reasons. But how are you supposed to know when it’s time to put down your DIY kit and call in a residential electrician?
At Gary Houston Electric Company, we think it’s important to know the difference between a minor issue that a homeowner competent in minor repair can do and what may signal a more pervasive problem that requires the service of a professional. When small fixes don’t resolve an issue and small problems keep coming back, it’s usually just a matter of time before they become big problems. Watch out for:
- Flickering lights: This can happen occasionally but if you have lights that flicker often, you may have a wiring problem or other damage that needs to be addressed. Constant flickering needs to be addressed immediately, with that circuit turned off until it’s fixed.
- Blowing Fuses or Tripping Breakers: If a fuse or breaker goes when something is activated on the circuit, that’s a sign that you’ve overloaded the circuit and you need to either put some of the load elsewhere or arrange to have the wiring upgraded. If it happens occasionally for no apparent reason, a professional inspection of your wiring and panel is called for.
- Hot Electrical Outlets: An outlet that gets hot to the touch is likely overloaded and in danger of causing a fire or other hazard. This needs to be checked immediately by a professional.
- Outlets run hot. If you notice that your electrical plugs or any other components feel unusually hot to the touch, they may be overloaded and in danger of causing a safety hazard. Call your local electrician before any people or property get hurt.
- Too Many Extension Cords: If you have to use extension cords to keep everyday items powered, you’re due for a wiring upgrade to handle the load. Older homes especially weren’t designed for the wide array of electrical demands and if you’re using cords to meet the demand, you’re courting disaster.
Don’t take chances with your home or you and your family’s safely. Call Gary Houston at 501-375-8330 or use our online contact form and one of our professional electricians will come check out the problem at no cost or obligation to you. Gary Houston has been one of Central Arkansas’ most trusted electrical companies since 1978.